Monday 19 April 2010

LAST WITNESS RECORDING

A DAY AT ABOVE ALL STUDIOS

Untitled from GIVE UP on Vimeo.



At the weekend I recorded a band from London called "Last Witness". It was an interesting project for me to undertake as the drums were recorded the previous day at "Crow's Nest" studios, which is a highly used studio in the Punk scene. As the drums weren't recorded by me I started the session with replacing the Kick Drum, As it wasn't to my taste and is a colon practice in this musical style. I did this by using a sampler that alternates the velocity and randomises the samples used, to give a human like realness to the replacement drum. I find this a great way to add consistency to a track or record.

Tracking the guitars and bass, which became quite challenging as their bassist was on tour with there other band (Your Demise) in America. So they relied on Bobby (lead guitarist) to track all guitar and bass for the entirety of the record due to the second guitarist unable to play tight, but in reality was still learning the songs. As the bass was borrowed from a friend it needed some attention, so I raised the action to stop the strings buzzing as they tune to drop A. The internation was a big problem aswell and keeping it in tune when its that low was difficult.

This recording is going to be put on a 7" release on Holy Roar Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment